Stepping up to the Board
October 21, 2018
At our final Women’s Event of 2018, we were joined by speaker Vanda Murray OBE in the offices of JMW in Spinningfields.
Vanda is a highly experienced Non-Exec Board member of several organisations, who took time out of her busy schedule to share with our audience her personal journey to getting to a Director role and to provide her tips for those wanting to make a move in that direction.
Having summarised the key points in her career to date, she talked through her six tips for success;
1. Excel in your day job. Be seen to be successful – attend conferences, deliver talks, write articles and be vocal. Remember what you are known for and be respected in your background.
2. Show what you’ve achieved. Keep your CV up to date and rather than provide a list of jobs you’ve done, ensure you put focus on your achievements.
3. Broaden your experience, skills & understanding. Know what you’re good at and fill in any gaps through training, CPD, etc. Ask in your appraisal if you are in the succession plan.
4. Ask for help and advice. Head-hunters need to know you. Go to events and talk about who you are and what you do.
5. Do your homework & keep up to date. Be clear on your sector trends, competition and industry changes.
6. Execution. Your success is being rich in the things that matter. Understand the corporate purpose of the company you are with and give everyone the opportunity to thrive. Invest your time in people and encourage them the raise their hands.
Vanda highlighted that Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is high on the agenda for businesses everywhere and that she has made a point of giving back since she was in her 20s. She also touched on the fact that technology shouldn’t be feared – it is in fact an enabler. One should be aware and open to changes, embrace them and use them to take your business forward.
Attendees then enjoyed the opportunity to chat with one another and with Vanda after her talk, building their connections further. We were also delighted to donate a proportion of the ticket sales for this event to Vanda’s chosen charity; Maggie’s Manchester and to hear more about it from their representative, Jemma Halman.
To find out about our upcoming events please click here.